List:       mutt-users
Subject:    Re: mutt won't send mail
From:       Michael Tatge <Michael.Tatge () web ! de>
Date:       2005-01-30 0:33:27

* On Sat, Jan 29, 2005 Dale A. Raby (daleraby@tds.net) muttered:
> I am having trouble, I think with Sendmail/Exim configuration.

Ok, first of all this mutt-users not sendmail or exim users.
Second to don't tell us about exim version and nothing about how you
setup exim or mutt.

> I can send messages to myself, but no one else on one system and
> cannot send at all on the other using Mutt.  Messages end up in mailq
> and never actually get sent.

Which indicates that in fact your mta setup is to blame.

> My Knoppix setup cannot even send with other clients... i.e.: Kmail.

kmail has - iirc - it's own smtp stuff so you should be able to send
with kmail. If even that is not working you have a major problem that
again has nothing to do with mutt.

Make sure your mta setup works first.
There are lots of howtos around for every major mta there is including
sendmail/exim/postfix/qmail/ssmtp
ssmtp is very easy to setup and i'd recommend that try that first. If
you need a full featured mta you can look into that later.

Then setup mutt. Start with a basic muttrc
Check the manual, check it again.
Especially check from, realname, use_from, envelope_from

http://www.exim.org/docs.html
http://www.postfix.org/docs.html
http://www.lifewithqmail.org/

> why does it have to be so difficult!!!!?  Arrghhhh!

Judging by the way you present yourself here i'd say pebcac.

Michael
--
1: No code table for op: ++post

GPG Key ID: 0xDC1A44DD