List:       mutt-users
Subject:    Message-hook and sync-mailbox produce infinite loop?
From:       James Wilkinson <james () westexe ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       2004-11-18 17:33:06

Hi there.

I tried putting a line in (a file included by my) ~/.muttrc:

message-hook "~n 120-" "exec sync-mailbox"

As I read it, this means that whenever I view a message with a score of
120 or more, Mutt syncs the mailbox. Mutt certainly doesn't complain
about the line on start-up.

As far as I can tell, Mutt does just what I asked it to do. Then it
reads the message again, which triggers the message hook, which syncs
the mailbox... And mutt gets into a loop. It takes 98%-odd of one CPU,
according to top, and won't respond to normal keypresses.

I'm using the standard Fedora Core 3 RPM, version 1.4.1i (according to
mutt -v). And I'm using Maildir folders. Currently the folder has around
26 MB of mail in 3600 messages.

Obviously, I've taken the troublesome line *out* of my .muttrc.

(Actually, a quick experiment shows that "~A" "exec sync-mailbox" would
do the same thing. "~N" doesn't: presumably it isn't new after the first
time round the loop. Maybe I'll have to make a more complex pattern...)

I can't find anything about it in Google (which does archive the list: I
checked). Am I doing something stupid, is it an artefact of Fedora's
compile, or should I file a bug with mutt-dev?

Thanks,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "If you make everything a life and death proposition
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | you're going to have problems.  For one thing, you'll