awesome, thanks. ok, almost there. one last thing... so now i have a key bound to "!formail -s procmail < $HOME/mailbox", now how do i get rid of the messages in $HOME/mailbox? can i simply execute this command instead: "!formail -s procmail < $HOME/mailbox && rm $HOME/mailbox"? this seems scary to me. what if while that command is executing and the mail system is simultaneously delivering mail? won't i end up loosing messages? for example, what if "formail -s procmail < $HOME/mailbox" finishes running, the mail system delivers more mail to $HOME/mailbox, THEN the "rm $HOME/mailbox" command runs. i'll lose those newly delivered messages, no? thanks for the help again, -- christopher On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 04:12:45PM -0500, David Champion wrote: > * On 2003.09.26, in <20030926205732.GA17189@thor.cs.utexas.edu>, > * "christopher j bottaro" wrote: > > > > > You probably should designate $HOME/mailbox as your dropbox, and create > > > another folder to be your "inbox", so that messages only need to be > > > processed once, and you don't need to mess around with moving messages > > > out of and back into $HOME/mailbox. > > > > right. so i have a bunch of procmail receipes to filter my mailing > > list emails, how do i write a receipe that says "if it didn't fit any > > other receipe, shove it in $HOME/Mail/inbox"? > > In your procmailrc, put: > ORGMAIL=$HOME/Mail/inbox > > $ORGMAIL defines the default folder for messages to be saved to if they > don't get saved/forwarded/piped anywhere else. > > I think that should work. If all else fails, you can just put a final > delivery recipe at the end of the procmailrc: > ## Matches anything that's not disposed-of yet > :0 > $HOME/Mail/inbox > > -- > -D. dgc@uchicago.edu > University of Chicago > NSIT > VDN > ENSS > ENSA > You are here > . . . . . . . > always line up dots