List:       mutt-users
Subject:    Re: mutt FRONTEND
From:       Alan Gutierrez <ajglist () izzy ! net>
Date:       2003-03-04 20:33:36

* Duke <list_usr@spacebox.net> [2003-03-04 14:20]:
> Here's the thing.  If you want an MUA with an eye-candy "clickyclicky
> thing" then use something other than Mutt.  Try Sylpheed
> (http://sylpheed.good-day.net/), Kmail (http://kmail.kde.org/), or the
> Mozilla client (http://mozilla.org/).
>
> Mutt has a perfectly good "front end", and is designed for a user who's
> looking for a powerful MUA.  If all your associates will be doing is
> "clickyclicky", then they don't need Mutt.  It sounds like one of the
> above three MUAs would be suitable.  Having used all three, I'd
> recommend Kmail.  If KDE applications aren't an option, Sylpheed.

> Well something graphical wouldn't be Mutt.  There's no sense in getting
> some weak GUI onto an MUA that's designed the way it is for a purpose.
> Making others use Mutt disguised in a GUI isn't really making them use
> Mutt at all.  It's just not the same.
>
> I imagine you're having a difficult time getting an answer because most
> people on this list couldn't imagine Mutt anyother way.  I certainly
> couldn't, nor would I want to.  I used all 3 of the above GUI MUAs, and
> got fed up with all of them.  I'm now only a few weeks into Mutt and
> I'm loving every bit of it.

Here, here.

In the last week, without realzing it, I've adopted every one of the
programs that Sven develops/flogs. I'd been trying to follow
newgroups/mailing lists using pine/mozilla/kmail/knode in
combination, since each did something the other didn't. Pine to
launch Vim, mozilla for dragging and droppping, knode for a taste of
scoring, kmail for why I can't remember.

Now I am using slrn/mutt/procmail/screen/vim for a communications
environment. I'll go hours without touching the mouse.

My big realization revolves around something Larry Wall once said,
that we learn language once, but use it all the time. It takes a
while to learn to use a key combination, but once you know it, it is
part of your repotoire. I find myself unconiously pecking at the
keyboard, switch from bash, to vim, to slrn, to vim, in one fluid
motion. With a GUI, a menu labels a command, so you can read your
way through an action, but once you know a menu layout by heart, you
still have to navigate the menus to fire a command.

--
Alan Gutierrez - ajglist@izzy.net
http://khtml-win32.sourceforge.net/ - KHTML on Windows