List:       mutt-users
Subject:    Random sig broken interacting with Red Hat 8
From:       Marco Fioretti <m.fioretti () inwind ! it>
Date:       2003-01-02 17:21:15

Hello,

I used with great satisfaction this one-liner for random signature,
posted on this list some months ago:

set signature="perl -an0777F'\n\s*\n' -e 'print \$F[rand(@F)],
\"\ngee\n\"' ~/pers_doc/massime|"

All on one line, of course. Now, in RH 8.0, it only prints one word of
a random sentence (see below, I added the "gee" string just to see
where it would be printed). From an xterm the one liner works
perfectly, i.e. prints whole multi-line signatures as before (removing
the backslashes before $F and the \n double quotes, of course). From
Mutt (launched as "xterm -e mutt" from the WM menu) it doesn't work.

What should I fix, and where should I look? It is known that Perl 5.8
and the Unicode system-wide settings don't really like each other yet,
but this is probably also due to the environment in which mutt
launches that script, right? Either way, any suggestion is
appreciated.

	TIA,
		Marco Fioretti
--