List:       mutt-users
Subject:    Re: webmail package that do things right?
From:       Marco Fioretti <m.fioretti () inwind ! it>
Date:       2002-12-03 19:50:28

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 11:03:16 at 11:03:16AM +0100, Sven Guckes (guckes@math.fu-berlin.de) wrote:

> however, experienced people should not be using webmail
> if they can avoid it.  i am surprised that you have chosen a
> webmailer for sending this - with all it's CTRL-Ms... (sheesh).
> (:%s/^M//g - what's a mailer without a good editor, eh?)

This time, I used a webmailer because in the office we were waiting
for the helpdesk to restart the servers and anything else was better
than idling. I agree, there was no real necessity to not wait for Mutt
this time. As far as the CTRL-Ms are concerned...

Now that I read my post in a real mailer, I'm both dismayed and sorry
for sending all those characters here. Seriously. It does offend the
eye. I can only say that the webmailer had *never* shown before *this*
particular abomination. I didn't change anything on my office PC, so
they (the ISP) must have changed something very recently in their
setup. I'll make my best to use it even less now.
Curiosity (answer off list, of course): does my original message looks
so messed up to all of you? If not, can you tell me why? Thanks.

> now, webmailers are missing almost everything
> that makes a good mailer, don't they?
> and ISPs with good webmailer services
> should be recommended, of course.
>
> however, this mailinglist really
> isn't a discussion forum for that.
> i suggest that we'll take this to
> comp.mail.misc - where it belongs.

I agree on both points above. If anybody knows good webmailers, please
tell me privately, and I'll just post the result here, if any. FWIW, I
asked it here anyway because this is (again, seriously, no pun
intended, I swear) one of the best places to find people able to tell
what is good or wrong in any kind of MUA. Isn't it?

	Ciao,
		Marco Fioretti