List:       mutt-users
Subject:    Re: Replying with the appropriate address
From:       Marco Fioretti <m.fioretti () inwind ! it>
Date:       2002-11-27 5:57:29

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 10:39:21 at 10:39:21AM +0530, Mario Michael da Costa (mario@controlnet.co.in) wrote:
> Marco Fioretti [mutt-users] <26/11/02 23:43 +0100>:
> > 1) The "web mailer" story was one of the *many* examples, this thread
> > tonight being only the last, of your continued tantrums
>
> i am a newbie myself, and have been reading these lists for some time
> now, without actually posting. this is my first post. i don't find
> anything wrong with sven or his attitude. he does help in a way that
> is much better than spoon feeding.
>

> a highly subjective view. you call sven a turd and yet he is the bad
> guy here ?
>

> > Whenever I meet a newbie to Free Software I:
> > 	a) tell him to use Mutt, since it is the best mailer around
> > 	b) silently pray that he doesn't meet you until he's known
> >            some more equilibrated people
>
> sven may not remember this, but as a gvim user on a M$ machine some
> time back he had been very helpful. i see no reason why a newbie
> shouldn't meet him.
>
> if i don't do my homework, if i always expect an easy and prompt
> answer, i bloody well deserve to be told "rtfm" or use some nice gui
> M$ software. there is nothing rude in that, but there is something
> wrong when you target one of the posters on this list, esp when that
> one poster has helped a lot of people, and is very fair in his
> postings.
>

> > 	"silly work address with a huge disclaimer" is bad
>
> actually i am forced to add this signature, perhaps sven could learn
> to be a bit flexible there. i belong to the class of people who uses a
> computer at work, prefers mutt because "it sucks less", and changing
> my job is not an option. my BOFH admin however does allow me to define
> my own signature instead of attaching a huge quasi legal disclaimer at
> the mail server itself.
>

> > 	"whiners who ... have to use a web mailer at work" are bad
> > 	"replying to lists subscribed as a hobby" is bad
>
> whiners are bad. using a web mailer at work, well that again is rather
> extreme. replying to lists subscribed as a hobby, well that is
> definately bad.
>

> > Why don't you post a Mutt patch so it refuses to run if the user
> > hasn't the root password of at least trhee different servers?
>
> that was almost funny,
>
> mario

Mario,
I (and, at least, even Derek) am not saying that people should not be
told to rtfm or change software, or that there is anything rude in
that: check the thread. Also, nobody doubts that Sven is technically
very competent, much more than me and many others. In that post of
mine of Nov 9th I said at the beginning that I am grateful to him for
what I have learned from the *technical* bits in his postings. The
problem that only Sven seems to have to such an extreme, that made me
and others target him personally, is that he is the only one that
constantly spends *one* minute saying "this is the solution, stop
whining and rtfm next time" (which is good and right) and *nine* ranting
about what a loser the poster is. *That* is sick. You said yourself
that Sven should be more flexible: I say the same thing, to him
personally, because he's the one who needs it. Sven's "is bad" list
(which, again, *you* seem to find bad too) shows in his own words that
he seems to consider worthless by default people who don't work and
use mutt as he does. I've been thinking for months, before exploding
and telling him to behave on Nov 9th and yesterday, that I would like
to have as much time to waste as he as, to make and keep updated a list
of links to all the message where is enjoys treating others like
animals, to post it here whenever he does it again.

Mutt is good, Sven is a mutt and vim god: so what? trying to learn
from his offences is not worht it. Enough.
 If anybody wants to answer I'll reply off list.

	Ciao,
		Marco Fioretti