List:       mutt-users
Subject:    Re: installing mutt from source - hints
From:       David T-G <davidtg-muttusers () justpickone ! org>
Date:       2002-05-30 14:26:09

Sven --

...and then Sven Guckes said...
%
% * David Thorburn-Gundlach <davidtg-muttusers@justpickone.org> [2002-05-29]:
% > Fergit RPMs (though our RPM team is starting to build them now) and
% > just build your own from source like a real man.  Heck, surf over to
% >   http://mutt.justpickone.org/mutt-build-cocktail/
% > and see how a *real* mess of a mutt is made :-)
%
% http://mutt.justpickone.org/mutt-build-cocktail/mutt-1.4i.patched-05.tar
% 12.9MB?  ohmygod..

Now, be fair...  That's a completely-patched source tree that hasn't been
compressed; even the stock mutt tarball is nearly 9M when unzipped.

With this version, I'll be compressing the tarballs that go into the
Clean directory and I expect they'll be under 3M.

%
% > Seriously, though, building the source from
% > scratch is pretty simple if you keep it stock.
%
% exactly.  and here's what I do to install mutt:
% http://www.math.fu-berlin.de/~guckes/mutt/install.html
% yes, pretty simple. :-)

My no-patch version looks about like that, except that I store all of the
configure stuff in a separate script because I'm lazy.

%
% Sven
%
% --
% Sven Guckes          http://www.math.fu-berlin.de/~guckes/mutt/setup.html
% Mutt setup from scratch, Sven's sample setup; attribution, "limit", "list"
% vs "subscribe", histories, mailcap, POP, hooks, use of external pagers,
% troubleshooting, adding header lines, "from Mozilla to Mutt".

HAND

:-D
(play) davidtg@justpickone.org * than to live up to them. -- fortune cookie
(work) davidtgwork@justpickone.org