List:       mutt-users
Subject:    Re: a timeout before "N" is gone
From:       David T-G <davidtg-muttusers () justpickone ! org>
Date:       2001-09-30 11:14:40

Stefan --

...and then Stefan Antoni said...
%
% 1 year ago i used "The Bat!" under windows for my email
% management. it had a nice function which still marked
% a message "new" when it was shown in the window where
% i could read it less than a few seconds.

Ah, the outlook preview pane.  Ugh :-)

%
% mutt takes the "N" away when i just browse down my mail
% in the pager, but the text appears only for 1 second. i
% just wanted to jump over it and read it later, but it

I take it that you're just going by rather than actually reading the
message, since one second is pretty short.  You could always go back to
the index and move down to a message you want to read -- and save the
display time for all of those messages in between!

% is still new mail for me :)

Sure; I fake my mail status like that all of the time.

%
% i'd like to have an timeout before it marks the email
% as read for deciding if i read it now, or perhaps later.
% let's say: 5 seconds.
%
% is there a built-in way to do this, or do i have
% to look into the sources ( i am not a c-programmer :( )

mutt currently supports nothing like that, but it would be easy enough
for you to use 'N' (to toggle-new, which will reset the New flag that you
just cleared by reading the message) instead of 'j' (or, heaven forbid,
the arrow key) to move down to the next message.

%
% --
%
% thx in advance,