List:       mutt-dev
Subject:    Re: 1.4?
From:       Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS <edmundo () rano ! org>
Date:       2001-05-26 16:25:25

TAKIZAWA Takashi <taki@luna.email.ne.jp>:

> > I think we should fix for 1.4 the bugs in locales and CJK languages
> > support, if any is left. (Is mutt-ja still maintained?)
>
> Yes, mutt-ja is still maintained.
> Its url is http://www.emaillab.org/mutt/ , which page is written in Japanese.

Which I don't understand, but I managed to find the patch at:

http://www.emaillab.org/mutt/1.3/mutt-1.3.18i-ja0.tar.gz

How useful is ordinary mutt for Japanese users?

I glanced through the patch, and I noticed at least one thing in there
which has since been included in ordinary mutt: the recent fix in
handler.c. I suppose you will continue to recommend parts of the patch
for inclusion into ordinary Mutt. There are other things in there
which might be useful for non-Japanese users, such as assumed_charset,
file_charset and delete_prefix.

As I understand it:

assumed_charset is a config variable for the charset to be assumed
when there are no MIME headers.

file_charset is the charset used for attachments.

editor_charset isn't in there, but has been suggested: the charset
used by the editor.

All of these charsets may be different from the charset used by the
terminal where mutt is running.

delete_prefix is for localised variants of "re:". I see these in
e-mail messages generated in Europe. Sometimes I see things like

Subject: R: Re: Betr: SV: Antw: AW: Vs: supersignoj

(I've never seen it get quite that bad, but I think I've seen all
those prefixes used.)

Edmund