List:       mutt-dev
Subject:    Re: Support for treating cur/ as new/ when using Maildir
From:       "Kevin J. McCarthy" <kevin () 8t8 ! us>
Date:       2015-07-19 16:43:27

Martin Sandsmark wrote:
> Because dovecot apparently refuses to let my mail stay in new/ when I try to
> fetch mail over IMAP, I sat down and implemented support for treating the
> cur/ folder similar to new/ in buffy. I also had to change the check for
> maildir tags a bit, so it treats both S and T as read, instead of just T.
>
> I added a new configuration option "maildir_cur_as_new" to toggle this, as I
> assume not everyone wants this.
>
> I'll inline the patch here for easier review:

My only comment would be to improve the name and documentation for the
option a bit.  With your explanation above, I understand what (and why)
you are trying to do.  But both the option name and the description
"treat cur the same as new" are a little vague when read on their own.

Forgive me if this starts a bikeshedding discussion, but I would suggest
something like $maildir_check_cur:
  ** If \fIset\fP, mutt will poll both the new and cur directories of
  ** a maildir folder for new messages.  This might be useful if other
  ** programs interacting with the folder (e.g. dovecot) are moving new
  ** messages to the cur directory.  Note that setting this option may
  ** slow down polling for new messages in large folders, since mutt has
  ** to scan all cur messages.

Do any other devs have comments?

--
Kevin J. McCarthy