List:       mutt-dev
Subject:    Re: The future of mutt... - intermediate aggregation
From:       Will Fiveash <will.fiveash () oracle ! com>
Date:       2013-10-24 17:15:32

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 01:11:29PM +0200, Ondřej Bílka wrote:

> > > Why not. Could someone with change repo rights accomplish that?
> >
> > If you need an automated tool to enforce formatting rules, doesn't that
> > apply that your code review process is broken and you risc to slip in
> > serious bugs? Shouldn't formatting rules be part of the ordinary code
> > review process?
> >
> Quite the contrary. Human attention is limited and focusing on formating
> issues means less focus on issues like if patch makes sense.

Not only is attention limited so is a reviewer's time.  As such it's
much more important to review the substance of the code change than
spend time commenting about C-style nits.  This is why the Solaris
development environment has a C-style checking utility that both the
developer can run to correct issues prior to pushing a changeset and the
source gate repo can run via a hook for each push to ensure compliance.

--
Will Fiveash