List:       mutt-dev
Subject:    Re: The future of mutt...
From:       Derek Martin <invalid () pizzashack ! org>
Date:       2013-10-06 18:30:09

On Sun, Oct 06, 2013 at 11:01:20AM -0700, Alexander Gattin wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 04, 2013 at 01:06:35PM -0500, Derek
> Martin wrote:
> If my system is not using DNS for local name
> resolution, then I can still use
> /etc/network/interfaces (or whatever) scripts to
> edit /etc/resolv.conf just for mutt if so desired.

You could, but that is a brain-dead solution: you can just set it in
muttrc.  And you MUST do so, if that is the only way mutt can reliably
determine what to use.  You can even do this programmatically, if you
need to, by sourcing a different config file containing correct
configuration settings for each domain your machine might be in, based
on any arbitrary command you care to run in your muttrc.

> On the other hand, your patch breaks some of
> setups that do use DNS.

It doesn't, unless those setups are misconfigured.

> The example I've shown you was run on a system
> with unqualified hostname.
>
> If I remove "127.0.1.1 ux280p.ckee" record from

This is your misconfiguration.  That host should contain the domain
you want to use.  Removing it is equally misconfigured (actually
worse, as you likely need that entry for your system to work at all).

> > The system should determine its qualified name
> > via whatever host name resolution mechanism it
> > is configured to use.
>
> My system has several IP addresses and several
> hostnames (depending on interface/network).

Wrong, it has exactly one hostname, as does every TCP/IP-networked
host.  It may have several domain names corresponding to the multiple
IPs on your machine... those are not hostnames, they are domain names.

> I could use /etc/resolv.conf just fine.

YOU could, but Mutt can not; not reliably.

-=-=-=-=-