List:       mutt-dev
Subject:    Re: The future of mutt...
From:       Will Fiveash <will.fiveash () oracle ! com>
Date:       2013-10-03 19:34:46

On Thu, Oct 03, 2013 at 12:18:29PM -0400, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
> the unix philosophy, like windows also fails the need of the disabled people
> (like me).  OTOH, MH was surprisingly friendly to speech recognition. I've
> been thinking about how UI's fail the disabled for a few (20) years and have
> some universal design ideas. if people want to hear more, I'll elaborate.
>
> core idea is separate the UI from the application.  the backend provides all
> the functionality for the app and the UI provides the tools for the user to
> control the backend.  you can have a textual, gui, speech or tts interfaces,
> all using the same back end.  mutt could provide that back end, the text ui
> and leave open a future to other UI's

My concern is that mutt works very well for me in its current state.  If
the process of separating mutt as you describe has a regressive impact
on the current text based UI I would be very unhappy.  Beyond that there
are other opensource GUI based MUAs like Thunderbird which has me
wondering about the value of providing a GUI for mutt.

Also note that mutt runs an external text editor so is the GUI also
going to supply some text editor?

Isn't there an existing MUA that already meets the needs of disabled
users?

--
Will Fiveash