List:       mutt-dev
Subject:    Re: The future of mutt...
From:       "Eric S. Johansson" <esj () harvee ! org>
Date:       2013-10-03 16:18:29

On 10/3/2013 8:59 AM, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> however, the unix philosophy (at least as actually lived by its strict
> adherents) *totally* fails the requirements of modern end-user computing:

the unix philosophy, like windows also fails the need of the disabled
people (like me).  OTOH, MH was surprisingly friendly to speech
recognition. I've been thinking about how UI's fail the disabled for a
few (20) years and have some universal design ideas. if people want to
hear more, I'll elaborate.

core idea is separate the UI from the application.  the backend provides
all the functionality for the app and the UI provides the tools for the
user to control the backend.  you can have a textual, gui, speech or tts
interfaces, all using the same back end.  mutt could provide that back
end, the text ui and leave open a future to other UI's

this would be a major improvement in the world of accessibility over the
current UI scraping used today.

more if you want to hear about it.