List:       mutt-dev
Subject:    Re: RFE - sort by from *address*
From:       Will Yardley <william+mutt () hq ! newdream ! net>
Date:       2003-11-24 22:04:34

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 04:55:15PM -0500, Nathan Dushman wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 11:46:24AM -0800, Will Yardley wrote:

> > > This is incorrect.  Setting reverse_alias affects sorting as well
> > > (try it!).

> > I did already (before I posted that), and it didn't.
> >
> > For instance, I changed my dad's alias from "James Yardley" to "Yardley,
> > James" in my aliases, set $reverse_alias, and it still stuck his
> > messages in between "Jack Culpepper" and "Jason Sydes".

> That is odd, as it worked correctly for me, and the code (I'm using
> mutt-1.4) shows that it looks up aliases when sorting if reverse_alias
> is set.

> How are you formatting the alias in your muttrc (or whichever file
> contains your aliases)?  Which version of mutt?

In the first case:
alias dad James Yardley <x@x.edu>

In the second:
alias dad "Yardley, James" <x@x.edu>

Shows up as expected in the display, but is still sorted based on the
name in the email itself. Realistically, this is what I'd expect.

I also tried editing the message itself and changing the realname field;
in that case, the sorting is affected (also as I'd expect).

Same one in user-agent string - 1.5.5.1

I see the same behavior on mutt 1.4 as well, though.

> Do you have a folder hook that is unsetting reverse_alias?

Nope. It's not set or unset at all in my .muttrc (plus, I'm setting it
by hand right when I'm testing it).

--
"Since when is skepticism un-American?
Dissent's not treason but they talk like it's the same..."