List:       mutt-dev
Subject:    security warning that should be in the man page
From:       Nicolas Boulenguez <nicolas.boulenguez () free ! fr>
Date:       2001-09-30 17:40:32

Hello.

I reported in the Debian BTS that:

> For POP users, ~/.muttrc has the user's POP password in it,
> wich usually is the same as the password for the PPP connection.
> The default mode for .muttrc is world-readable.
> Fetchmail refuses to start until .fetchmailrc is rw-------.
> Why wouldn't mutt do the same?

You answered that mutt wasn't the user's nanny and closed the (wishlist) bug.
OK, mutt doesn't care of the mode of my files.

But please insert an informative comment in the 'pop_pass' section of mutt's
manual, and maybe near the corresponding line of examples/sample.muttrc.gz.
These two files were the only nannies who learned me how to use my new
mailreader five years ago.

Good bye.