List:       munt
Subject:    Re: UNIX mounts
From:       Sven-Erik Tiberg <set () dc ! luth ! se>
Date:       2000-04-26 6:06:03

At 07:58 AM 4/25/00 -0400, Daniel Isaac wrote:
>We have been having problems with programs running very slow on the
>terminal server.
>I have narrowed it down to this.  On a citrix client on a UNIX machine
>with local drives mapped under the citrix preferance file access is
>horrible.  Has anyone had this problem or know how to fix it.
>Thanks for any help
>Dan
>--
>"how do you know I'm mad?" Alice
>"You must be or you wouldn't have come here."-Cheshire cat
>isa@philabs.research.philips.com
>My views are not those of my employer, mother or my wife.

Hi Daniel.

We have mounted all users homefolders to UNIX-servers by using Samba 2.0.6,
and access to local floppys on Solaris workstations c-shell cmd volcheck
and eject.

Note: use Samba 2.0.6. or higher as
-------------- Changes in 2.0.6  -----------------

                 1). 64-bit locking .......
                 .

                 8). Many oplock fixes. Samba now waits 30 seconds, not 45.
Also
                 smbd no longer aborts on client break failure, but logs a
message
                 and continues. This is what NT does. This should fix many
"oplock
                 break" message problems people have been having.

Works at least as fast  and reliable as with homedir on a NT-filesserver.
Works fine on stand alone f.ex. Digital UNIX workstations as well.

--- Sven-Erik Tiberg -- Sys Mgr -
Campus Computer Center
Lulea Univ. of Technology
S-97187 LULEA Sweden
Phone +46 (0)920 91218 ( office ) +46 (0)920 255542, 255190 ( home )
cell  +46 (0)70 2102782
fax +46 (0)920 72272, 255190( manual at home )

Offical: http://www.dc.luth.se/user/set/index.html.sv
Private: http://pc-serv.mt.luth.se/index.htm
PGP: keyserver ldap://pgp.surfnet.nl:11370

--------------<< "multiuser-nt@ncd.com" FOOTER MESSAGE >>-------------------