List:       munt
Subject:    Re: Suggestions needed for TS/MF 1.8 env.
From:       Stephen Greenberg <steveg () thinclient ! net>
Date:       1999-12-22 18:20:36

In a message dated 12/22/99 6:15:12 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
bobh@dnrc.bell-labs.com writes:

> Our environment is a mixed NT and UNIX shop. What I really would like
>  pointers on is how to lock things down so that users cannot screw things
>  up on the server, while still providing a good working environment. Any
>  and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Bob,

When integrating WTS and Metaframe 1.8 in a UNIX environment you should
expect the following features:

1) Ability to use your existing NIS UNIX account database and passwords
2) Ability to mount the UNIX home directory as a drive letter in UNIX
3) Ability to launch Windows sessions via X from your UNIX desktop
easily

We have found the best way to provide a "lock down" without getting too
complicated is to use Tricerat Desktop Manager. It is a product that
gives you "drag and drop" control of users desktop and start menu
contents. They also have a "drag and drop" utility for assigning
printers to users. You can see these, and the other utilities, at
www.tricerat.com

Regards,

Steve Greenberg
Thin Client Computing