List:       munt
Subject:    Re: Password Syncing Products ??
From:       Stephen Greenberg <steveg () thinclient ! net>
Date:       1999-12-10 0:33:43

In a message dated 12/9/99 4:22:41 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
jleather@eos.hitc.com writes:

> We have a couple thousand user base, and each have
>  a UNIX (NIS), Windows NT and Novell 4.11 account.

We have many sites that are successfully using NIS and NIS Plus as the
master password database for Winframe and Terminal Server based systems.
The best tool is the "Dynamic NIS", also known as "Stand Alone NIS"
produced by NCD. If you have support with NCD, simply call them and ask
for it.

In regards to Novell, we have extended the above tool to integrate with
Novell NDS, however, this is not supported by NCD or Novell and will not
work in every situation. This requires both the Novell client for NT 4.6
SP2 and the Stand Alone NIS from NCD. Where it does apply we have are
able to do the following:

- The UNIX user launches a TSE session from an icon on the CDE menu
- Their UNIX user name is auto-inserted into the NT login field
- The user types their UNIX password and is logged into NT using NIS
- The Novell acts as a secondary login and can pass that same set of
credentials to NDS and run the Netware login script

The reason that the NDS portion is not supported and does not always
work is because there is some contention for the MSGINA.DLL between the
three methods of authentication. However, there is a combination of
versions of clients that actually can work with all three databases in
the manner described above.

Regards,

Steve Greenberg
Thin Client Computing
15111 N. Hayden Rd #160-107
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
(602) 432-UNIX
(602) 296-0411 fax   [PLEASE NOTE NEW FAX NUMBER]
steveg@thinclient.net

--------------<< "multiuser-nt@ncd.com" FOOTER MESSAGE >>-------------------