List:       munt
Subject:    Re: Office Suites for WTS
From:       plw () aigvic ! aigroup ! asn ! au (Phil Ware)
Date:       1999-10-27 6:13:33

This first line is inserted to get around Lyris's filtering software.

Bob Martel wrote:

> 	We also need to support the WordPerfect suite on this machine - I've
> seen very little traffic about that one, has anybody had any experience
> with it?  Has anyone worked with the new "2000" release of the WordPerfect
> Suite?

We also use Word Perfect Suite 8 on WTS, and have had a fair few problems
getting it to run cleanly.  Fortunately we only use Word Perfect and
Corel Photo House, so it hasn't been too hard to get it to run.  We haven't
played much with any of the Corel Office components, but I seem to recall
from somewhere (the release notes on the WTS CD?) that not all of it
run happily under WTS.

First thing, unless you have limitless disk space, ignore the Application
Compatibility script on the WTS CD.  It does a network install of WP Suite
on the WTS box, and then has each user perform a client install from that
at first login.  This chews up a fair amount of disk.

Secondly, the fact that it is a two stage install separated by a reboot
has made for some difficulties, as you don't get a chance to set your session in \
install mode before the second part of the install occurs.

Our most successful approach has been to perform a standard install in
install mode and ignore the problem about the two stage install.  Then,
after the install is complete, for each user run the pfreg.exe program
(C:\Program Files\Corel\Suite8\Programs\pfreg.exe), de-register and
re-register all program components you wish to use for each user.
We do it for a dummy user, and copy that profile over the Default User
profile.  This seems to work OK.

Another difficulty we've experienced has to do with the system font size -
we use large system fonts (set from Control Panel->Display) for everyone.
In our experience, if you haven't selected large fonts as the system default
for everyone before you install WP, then the appropriate size symbol fonts
aren't installed when you install WP.  This results in empty boxes
appearing when you attempt to insert a symbol.

Finally, make sure your Regional Settings and Input Locale are set
appropriately for each user before you do the install, or you'll pick up
the wrong dictionaries, paper sizes etc.

With regards WP2000, I've had a brief look at it and have shelved it
for a while - it seemed more troublesome to install than WP Suite 8, and I
was on a tight timeline.

If you've got any specific queries, mail me and I'll see if I can assist.

Phil Ware
plw@aigvic.aigroup.asn.au

--------------<< "multiuser-nt@ncd.com" FOOTER MESSAGE >>-------------------