List:       munt
Subject:    Re: Temp space question
From:       slh () shasta ! pcx ! ncd ! com (Steighton Haley)
Date:       1999-07-28 18:29:22

Don is correct.  The only way to properly remap the TEMP and TMP directories is
to modify the profile registry directly on logon.  This will have the effect
that the next time the user logs in the temp variable is set correctly... If
you try to just do a set, it won't carry over into the global environment.
 setx, as Hector is attempting to do *should* work, but I wouldn't guarantee
it.

My best recommendation here is to set:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Envrironment

values for TEMP and TMP.  You could use kix to make these registry changes or
regini, or MAM, whatever you like... I would be careful about putting
%username% into the registry, however, as many applications won't resolve that
out to the actual path.

					laterdays,
					SLH.

On Jul 28,  8:24am, Don Hickey wrote:
> Subject: Re: Temp space question
>
> Thanks, but...  The problem here is that the changes with kix take place
*after*
> logon.  Some changes must be in place AT logon.  You see, if you change the
TEMP
 .
> The change would be in effect only at the next logon.  I agree that using kix
is a
> great way of implementing most reg changes but not in cases where they need
to be in
> place at logon.
>
> I was actually looking for a batch way of loading all the DAT files and
editing them
> while the users are offline.  Can this be done?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Ryan Sweet wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, Don Hickey wrote:
> > >
> > > PS: If anyone knows of a better way to "bulk change" the profiles, please
let me
> > > know.
> >
> > Registry changes to HKCU (the user's profile) can be made from the login
> > script using scripting languages like perl or kixstart (I prefer perl
> > -it's Win32::TieRegistry class lets you treat the whole registry or any
> > subset thereof as one big hash), or use the regedit.exe program to load a
> > .reg file.
>
> [ Attachment (text/x-vcard): "don.hickey.vcf" 452 bytes
>   Character set: us-ascii
>   Card for Don Hickey ]
>-- End of excerpt from Don Hickey

     _/        _/   _/_/_/_/   _/_/_/_/                Steighton Haley
    _/_/      _/  _/          _/     _/  Senior Tech. Support Engineer
   _/  _/    _/  _/          _/      _/                    slh@ncd.com
  _/    _/  _/  _/          _/      _/            voice: (503)641-2200
 _/      _/_/  _/          _/     _/                FAX: (503)641-2959
_/        _/    _/_/_/_/  _/_/_/_/            WEB: http://www.ncd.com/
  9590 SW Gemini Dr. Beaverton, OR 97008              FTP: ftp.ncd.com