List:       munt
Subject:    RE: FW: how to: Custom.dic and Normal.dot for each user
From:       Paul Kingsburgh <paul_k () sstcorp ! com>
Date:       1998-06-28 1:44:57

	Hey List

	<A lot snipped out...>

> I've seen some
> people share each home directory but that's messy and it creates more
> network traffic by making the list of available resources that gets
> broadcasted quite large.

	<The rest also snipped out...>

	I have worked at many LARGE NT sites..( Upwards of 10,000 NT
Accounts... of course  multi-domain models!)  independt of
NTRIGUE/WinFrame/WinCenter etc

	And we have used and had large succesful implementations
wherehome directories are hidden ie  username$ shares.  This not only
allows you to have a single drive letter for the home specification, it
allows those same user accounts to support WIn95 and NT.. and lo and
behold also very simply support WinFrame home dirs.

	For the Win95 access you simply use the "net use /home x:" and
under WinFrame the home dir is set to Drive Letter x: Share location
\\servername\hiddenshare$

	Also this model is excellent for Terminal Server as well. And
sure beats having a very large Novell-style logon script that if fails
to execute for any reason leaves the user environment open to problems.

	Any way my penny's worth on the subject.

	Paul

	P.S. and as far the Admin complaints about setting up large
numbers of user account configs.. "but it takes so long/is so
complicated" no-one said Admins should not have to do boring keyboard
work..hahah

--------------<< "multiuser-nt@ncd.com" FOOTER MESSAGE >>-------------------