List:       munt
Subject:    Re: Application license with WCP
From:       "Phil Wilkin" <philwilk () ipax ! com ! au>
Date:       1997-07-29 22:53:38

Why should you have to guarantee that your are "legal" when Microsoft don't
even guarantee that their software works at all ???

I am not suggesting software piracy be adopted.   But surely a reasonably
concerted effort to ensure that one has enough licences to cover common
peak usage is in keeping with the spirit of the licence agreement.   What
more could Microsoft expect when they provide no means whatsoever within
their operating systems to monitor such software usage?

OK, my job is easier because I have fewer than 20 concurrent users at any
time and I can periodically jump into Wincenter Administration and count
the number of Winword processes current at that time (or Excel, Access,
etc).   That would not be practical for a hundred users.

If every system admin purchased the maximum number of possible licences of
all software, most would be sacked for unnecessarily wasting the boss's
money and Microsoft would never do anything about including software usage
counters in the operating system.

Make a fair and reasonable assessment and live with it!

Phil.
Phil Wilkin Computers,
Melbourne

--------------<< "multiuser-nt@ncd.com" FOOTER MESSAGE >>-------------------