List:       munt
Subject:    RE: client\lpt1 printing -Reply
From:       James Russ <jruss () dsm ! net>
Date:       1997-03-28 10:50:47

Setting up a client printer:

You should be logged on as the user and at the station hooked up to the
printer.  The reason for this is When selecting Create printer from Print
Manager it defaults to wfname#lpt1.  (Where sfname is your client name)
The default security includes the username special access.  If a
user who did not create the printer is logged into the computer with the
printer and the original creator is logged in somewhere else the printer
creator could print to the client printer even though the creator is not
logged in to the computer with the printer.  I have seen some weird things
with client printers.  They are not as stable as network printers.
If you are using the windoze client then sometimes it is better to connect
to the client\windows printer while other times it seems better to access
the client\lpt1

Hope this helps,

James E. Russ
Digital Systems Management
JRuss@dsm.net

>>> Peter Iannacchione <Peter_Iannacchione@mpd.lord.com> 03/27/97
05:28pm >>>
I'm no expert but... I think you have to add the client printer as
administrator so everyone can see it.  Then it would be a matter of setting
the security on the device.  By default the device would be owned by
whoever created it.  A user created lpt device couldn't be used by
anyone else unless they SHARED that device to the world.  Then other
users would add the printer as a networked printer (you could try this as
well).

Pete Iannacchione
Lord Corporation

>----------

for  >     printing and they both have an HP4 attached to their LPT1.  From
>     within Windows (Netware), they have no problems printing.  From
within  >     Citrix Winframe, they can not print to the client\lpt1 printer.  If I
>     choose another IP printer, it will work, but it can not go to the  >
user's local printer.
>      >     It gets more interesting.  I have one user account that does
work.  On  >     the same PC, with the same settings, another user
account will not  >     work.  I copied the user settings and just changed
the name and  >     password, but it does not work.  To get around this, I
am letting the  >     user use the account that does work.
>      >     Now... the original user can not print to their local printer any  >
  more.   >      >     Both users use Win3.1 and are using the 16 bit
Winframe Client.  User  >     session settings are the same, and they both
have HP Laserjet 4  >     printers.  Both can print to TCPIP printers, but
when they try to  >     print to their local printer, it does not consistently
work.

--------------<< "multiuser-nt@ncd.com" FOOTER MESSAGE >>-------------------