List:       munt
Subject:    RE: NT Server question
From:       "Don Adams" <DAdams () DonAdams ! com>
Date:       1996-07-31 12:44:09

When you say "easy way" I assume you mean is there a way that is easier
than logging into each user account, opening Netscape, and setting the
paths to the users home directory area BY HAND!

I'm not sure what issues arise with Eudora that are not handled by the
"Change User /Install" option, but as far as Netscape, Notes, MS
Exchange and some others, there is a certain amount of hand work that
needs to be done for each user for these apps to work correctly.  I
think the Netscape problem could be handled through the Registry so a VB
app or manual Registry editing could be faster then logging in as each
user.  With MS Exchange, a few directories need to be copied to the
users HOME area so that could be accomplished with a batch file or VB
app.

This gets to be even more fun when you are using the Auto-Login function
for Internet Access.

Until software developers realize that Multi-User NT is here to stay, we
will have these issues.  In some cases, an app just won't run like in
the case of most Print to Fax apps.  I've tested Optus and RightFax so
far, and neither of them will work in a session (print to fax).  I've
heard that Winfax Pro won't work either.  This is due to the fact that
most of the fax vendors are using the Desktop API's to pop-up their
address book from the Print to Fax driver.  Using this method causes the
phone book to pop-up on the administrators console.

I think that Citrix, NCD, Tektroniks, Insignia should try to inform some
of these vendors of these issues.  The reaction I get from Optus
Software is "so what!  I've never heard of Winframe".  We need a "Runs
on Winframe" campaign or something.

Don Adams
USConnect Boston

--------------<< "multiuser-nt@ncd.com" FOOTER MESSAGE >>-------------------