List:       mumps-l
Subject:    Defragmenting a DSM database vs Relational
From:       Gary P Monger <gpmonger () rica ! net>
Date:       1999-03-24 16:43:30

A general comparison of defragmentation needs of databases is proably
not very useful. Defragmentation needs are to be determined by the
application design and use. Two M based applications, doing essentially
the same tasks, can vary dramatically in how the data is stored.
Updating an old record in one may force a single page split, whereas
updating the same info in another may force several page splits.  Two
sites using the same application may see their database fragment very
differently.

In M we have a little more flexibility to optimize the design of the
database.  We have some control over how it will react to new data and
updates to old data.

DTM had an in-place compacter some time ago, starting with ver 4.3?