List:       mumps-l
Subject:    Re: Bit Wise AND in M
From:       Jim Self <jaself () ucdavis ! edu>
Date:       1998-01-27 20:25:43

David Whitten wrote:

> a) the Internal Bit-Stream approach
> Where a string is examined from beginning of string to end of string,
> and the internal representation of the characters is viewed as a series
> of bits.
> As Jim Self has mentioned, this is prone to problems with Endian issues.

I don't recall mentioning endian issues in my previous posts on this subject. I
did mention the bitstring functions implemented in DTM which I think could be
extremely fast and efficient tools for certain types of large database
problems.
since I haven't used them much myself, my purpose in mentioning them was to ask
how others view their utility and how (or whether) they are used in current SQL
or other database searching products. In particular, I wonder if these
functions
are in Cache' and if Micronetics has implemented something with comparable
functionality.
--
James A Self
VMTH Computer Services