List:       mumps-l
Subject:    Re: 1/19/98 Computerworld
From:       Kate Schell <cschell () JACQUARDSYSTEMS ! COM>
Date:       1998-01-22 16:30:39

Most M folks are still in the Year 2000 awareness phase known as
"Denial".

I believe that Capers-Jones was just giving a list of languages that ce
considered obscure, not that he knows well enough to understand
strengths and weaknesses.

M is in a lot better shape than some other languages, but if
organizations with M systems continue to keep their heads in the sand
about the very real problems that may be in their code and their
databases, M systems will face wholesale replacement in about 16 momths.

Some Serious Problems:
                 Arithemtic on human-readable dates produced using $ZD
                 Two-digit years produced by vendors % routines
                 Two-digit years embeded in data, such as claim and
                   purchase order numbers

Both InterSystems and Micronetics have year 2000 impact statements on
their web sites.  They bear careful reading.  Most organizations have
work to do.

However - don't bet on more consulting work.  My phone is busier than
usual, but half of it is for work that has nothing to do with ensuring
that the viability of M systems in the coming years.  Lots of folks are
worried about web interfaces and GUI front ends for code that will crash
and burn in 23 months or less ... (when does your organization's fiscal
year end?)

--
Jim McKinney wrote:

> Curious what people thought of the Y2K article in the January 19
> Computerworld (page 94). The author makes the following statement:
> "There is little or no time remaining for companies with extensive
> MUMPS, APL, CHILL, or Algol code to staff and start year 2000 efforts".
> This quote was attributed to Capers Jones, a "noted" year 2000
> consultant. Does this mean that I can expect my phone to start ringing
> off the hook with job offers?

 Kate Schell                              cschell@jacquardsystems.com
 Jacquard Systems Research               phone & fax:    301-762-8999
 800 Nelson Street                         http://jacquardsystems.com
 Rockville, MD 20850-2051
                       January 1, 2000,  12:05 AM
               You've just emptied your glass of champagne.
                 Do you know what your computer is doing?