List:       mumps-l
Subject:    Re: M/Weblink , IE 3.02 and printer control
From:       Winfried Bantel <winfried.bantel () usa ! net>
Date:       1997-09-30 10:46:47

> Hi,
>
> I'm developing a M/Weblink Application using Cachi 2.0 for a healthcare
> system.
>
> The main menu of the application permits to the user see and update the M
> database.
>
> My problem is when I try to print out all the medical information related
> to an entry.
> I put the web page with the results into the browser and I click the "print
> icon" printing the
> web page that I see on the screen.
>
> How can I print more than one web page? There is any script to do it ?
> How can I send several pages to the client and print it?
>
> I will appreciate any suggestion.
> Thanks
> A. Vilella
> ESIS

Hi A.!

Here's an unconventional solution which will only work in an
intranet-environment and not in an www-application because a
small program has to be installed on the clients.
I`ve tested it with Netscape, but with IE it should work too!
--------------------------
Put your print-data in a simple ASCII-File with a special
file-extension (i.e. .2PR). Write a batch or a small VB-programm
which prints a file passed by command-line.
I.e. cp2prt.bat:

type %1 >lpt1:

This program must be installed on the client (that's the reason this
solution only works in an intranet- but not in an
internet-environment).

Tell the browser that files with extension .2PR have to be
processed with application cp2prt.bat. In Netscape 4.0 (german
version) there is a folder "Navigator - Anwendungen" where you can
register the application cp2prt.bat. In MS-IE there must be an equal
possibilty.

Now create a Hyperlink or a print-button in your application-websites
which link to the printerdata-file

Test it - when the browser receives a file data.2pr he will call
cp2prt.bat and pass the filename via command-line, then cp2prt.bat
will print the data.

One mora advantage: You dont't need the printer-dialog any more!
Another solution is using Javascript, but i'm not yet experienced
with Javascript, so i can't help.

Good luck

Winfried Bantel