List:       mumps-l
Subject:    Re: M incognito
From:       Greg Kreis <gkreis () mindspring ! com>
Date:       1997-05-31 15:01:32

Roger Cope wrote:

> I second that. Anything that expands the M world without taking anything
> away from the language is to be welcomed - what's in a name anyway?

I agree... we may benefit from this new interest.  But as your statement
below mentions, it is has a second edge to it.

> OTOH, I hope that InterSystems don't use this new direction to disassociate
> themselves from the M standards bodies and the other M vendors.

I was thinking about this today and thought 'why have an MDC if IS
becomes
so large that they are effectively the only vendor'?  Then I realized
that
there may be some checks and balances here.  If 'Cache' swells our
ranks, then
some vendor is bound to notice the market and discover that M is a non-
proprietary standard and we might just be able to grow our vendor market
again.