List:       mumps-l
Subject:    Re: Mumps and Notes
From:       Ben Bishop <aci () shore ! net>
Date:       1997-04-30 15:39:18

"Brett F. Hunt" <BrettH@micronetics.com> writes:
>Jon Steer <jsteer@BitScout.com> wrote in article
><MPG.dcedd51be16f244989680@news.destek.net>...
>>  Can anyone point me to any products (preferably that
>>  run on Win95/Winnt) that allow Lotus Notes
>>  to interoperate with Mumps?
>
>Our MSM-Workstation for Windows product can act as an OLE server or an OLE
>controller.  Therefore, from MSM, one can access any OLE-aware application
>under Win95 or WIndows NT.  For example, we can create a Microsoft Exchange
>mail page, pump in the address and message text, and send the message, all
>without user intervention.  Of course, one can also create a page which
>allows the user to type in the text and address, then send or cancel the
>message.  Assuming that Lotus Notes supports similar OLE capabilities, then
>MSM could interact with it in the same way.
>
>Of course, this type of functionality is not limited to mail systems.  We
>can just as easily open an MS Word document, or an Excel spreadsheet, and
>pump M data into it.

I've had a fair amount of success in controlling MS Word from
MSM-Workstation (albeit the documentation on the MSM-Workstation will
lead you astray; it is downright *wrong*) -- but that success is
really due to the fact that MS Word has a well documented interface,
namely Word Basic.

Trying to interface to other OLE engines would be a lot easier if
there was some mechanism for finding all the methods and properties
(and documentation for them, of course).  As it is, even with Word
Basic, I'd have been lost without (a) macro recording, and (b) the
macro help facility within Word (which is *not* installed by
default...)

Some products approach OLE as 'use me' and others as 'I can control
anything'.  Although MSM-WS can do both, I believe it is primarily
intended as a 'use me' OLE product, being run from something like VB,
Delphi, or other language/application.

One warning: it appears one *cannot* trap errors relating to objects;
specifically, the <OBJECT> error does not respond to $ZTRAP or $ETRAP
settings.  Sigh.

--
Ben Bishop, WaveCrest Applications                   aci @ shore.net
"Old code never dies ... it just waits for the year 2000.  Quietly."