List:       mumps-l
Subject:    Re: DTM 4.2 %dscompact error
From:       Eric Pape <ericp () intersys ! com>
Date:       1997-04-29 10:52:10

At 12:51 AM 4/25/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I've run into a bit of a problem, and was hoping I could find some good
>advise. I ran %dscompact, in the non-repair mode, on a dataset. (The
>dataset was %dsverify'd prior to this, with no reported errors) The process
>hit an error withing a few seconds due to the routine %dscompact3 not being
>found. The dataset now seems to be unmounted. Is there a way to safely
>remount this dataset?
>
>I induced the same error on a test dataset to see if simply downing mumps,
>then restarting would remount the dataset properly. This did not work work,
>giving a 'page not found' error.
>
>Any thoughts would be grewatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Steve Hubbs
>qdis@iadfw.net

Steve,

%dscompact wasn't introduced until DTM 4.3, so someone may have only
parially backported this utility from 4.3 to 4.2.  %dscompress has
changed over time, but generally it must run to completion or else
you have to restore from a backup.  If you have no backup you
should try a %dscompress in repair mode on the non-functional
dataset.  (%dscompress makes a repaired copy of the dataset whereas
%dscompact compresses it in place.)