List:       mumps-l
Subject:    Re: RAID 5, MUMPS, and VMS
From:       Tom Fitzgibbon <tom () MUL ! COM>
Date:       1996-12-25 6:29:54

> Mullett, Mark wrote:
> >
> > I have been told by one of our vendors that they will not support their
> > product because MUMPS has significant performance problems when used with
> > RAID-5 under VMS.  Having a strong VMS and RAID and weak MUMPS
> > background, I am searching for definitive proof of this claim.  Does
> > anybody have any details of this problem?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mark Mullett
> > Systems Delivery
> >
> > mmullett@nmh.org
> > Northwestern Memorial Hospital
> > 259 E. Erie
> > 6th Floor
> > Chicago, IL  60611
Mark-
Two of our customers have Open M Mumps from Intersystems (6.1) running
on Alpha 2100s with VMS (6.2) software level mirrored RAID 5 arrays.
The
RAID 5s are 4 disks apiece with independent raid controllers.  I was
a bit apprehensive about disk write throughput over the original single
disk subsystem.  After installation reads are much faster and writes
have not suffered.  M works fine with RAID 5 (and is no more problematic
than any other language with most hardware).

Our client can now do a full backup at anytime, without any downtime,
by uncoupling the VMS shadowed RAID 5 array, copying to tape, and
recoupling.
-Tom Fitzgibbon - Multidata - tom@mul.com