List:       mumps-l
Subject:    Re: DTM to Open M 7
From:       Phil Pybus <ppybus () MOZART ! INET ! CO ! TH>
Date:       1996-12-26 3:13:53

>   Have any DTM (v6.2 up) users looked into or moved up to Open M 7
> yet?
>
>   I'm evaluating Open M 7 now, and I'd like to hear what experiences
> or comments you have comparing DTM w/ Open M 7.
>
>   I'm especially interested in those that have used both under Windows
> 95.

Dan,
I have two laptops that I use for all my sales activity, and I regularly
move demo apps from one to the other - no problems as long as there
is no platform-specific code in there.  That's not the same as a real app,
I know.

>   Also, if anyone knows what a "base" install takes up, I'd like to
> know.  That is, how big an installation file has to be to install just
> the M system on a "non-M" user's Windows PC when shipping out EXEs
> created by Visual M.  I don't have anything to base this on, but I'm
> thinking the Open M 7 install will be significantly bigger (I hope
> not).

The base install of Open M 7 is quite large.
But if you're talking about Visual-M client/server, ALL my customers are
running thin client these days, so the footprint on the PC is very small
indeed.
Thick client is a convenient environment for development (on airplanes,
for example, as I do !), but for deployment, thin client is much easier
to manage

Regards

Phil