List:       mumps-l
Subject:    Re: Anyone with experience with Unidata or Visual-M?
From:       Kin Tung HO <kinho () UNIXG ! UBC ! CA>
Date:       1996-11-26 16:47:56

>  Troy Makaro <troy_makaro@mindlink.bc.ca>
>  posted an article to comp.client-server saying:
>  : Hi, I work for a software development company
>  : that is currently looking to port its text based legacy programs
>  : into a client/server model.
>  : Our software currently runs on an Alpha or Vax running VMS.
>  : Both Unidata and Visual-M claim to have an application server
>  : that runs on VMS, Unix and NT.
>  : The support of VMS as an application server would be nice
>  : but not critical if it limits us too much.
>  : Any comments on these products or others like them
>  : would be much appreciated.
>  : Troy Makaro
>  : TSC Software Services.

Seeing the message is originating from Vancouver, Canada,
I cannot resist not to answer the Visual-M question.
I use the Open-M v6.2 and the local client/server mode
work just fine (v6.3 and higher works on remote client/server
according to documentation).
To just port the text based legacy programs to a client/server
model should not be too difficult. You just clearly make out
what is to reside in the data server,application server and the
client machine (again the 2-tiers, 3-tiers jargon); maybe define
the 'NODE's as well.
To port the text based application to GUI is another story!

Regards,
            Kin

--
Kin T HO