List:       mtos-dev
Subject:    Re: [MTOS-dev] config.yaml plugin sets
From:       Chad Everett <2009 () everitz ! com>
Date:       2009-12-10 18:16:26

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

There are a couple of thoughts in this area that I can throw in.

- The most practical implementation of a plugin set most have seen is
probably SpamLookup.  It is made up of several plugins that ostensibly could
be used separately if you don't use all of them.  Though I don't really use
SpamLookup now, when I did, I really didn't use much.  So being able to use
part of the set without the whole is definitely a big plus - otherwise it's
just forcing more cruft down throat of users (see earlier thread about
growing plugins).

- The advantage to me of a plugin set is really from an organizational
perspective.  Let's say that I want to unbundle some functionality and offer
an "open source" (intentionally lower cased here) plugin component with a
"for pay" plugin component.  If I was able to create a "plugin set", then
those two - or more - pieces could be represented together in some way in
the UI as being related, rather than being two (or more) separate and
unrelated plugins.  It increases the ability of developers to use open
source and build on it by offering sellable modules that can be plugged into
these offerings.  At least that's the idea.  Don't know if it would work,
but it seems promising.

As an example: I have thought for a while of providing the administrative
module and other add-ons to MT-Notifier in such an arrangement.  Many of
Mark's plugins are offered in a basic version for free, but for additional
functionality, you have to purchase a "Pro" version.

- Along these same lines comes the idea of putting a particular author's
content into a plugin "superset".  One of the difficulties with upgrading is
trolling through extlib to make sure that you haven't missed Brad's content
that is sitting out there from an old plugin install.  While it's easier to
just install it in the "lib" directory under the plugin, this means that the
other plugins (or MT/Melody itself) can't make use of it in any reasonable
way.  Perhaps by creating a Brad Choate set, they could do this somehow -
and we can stop digging through extra directories looking for content that
needs to be moved during the ugprade (this is just a personal pet peeve, or
as Jay puts it, pain point), and perhaps isn't related).  Maybe just a
plugin "extlib" or something would work for this instead.

Chad Everett
Everitz Consulting