List:       msqlperl
Subject:    Re: $sth->{NAME} contains only the first field name
From:       Michael Bletzinger <Michael.Bletzinger () ssa ! crane ! navy ! mil>
Date:       1997-09-09 16:29:29

Nem W Schlecht wrote:

> Michael Bletzinger e-mailed me on Tue Sep  9 13:00:21 1997
> (Re: "Re: $sth->{NAME} contains only the first field name")
> >
> >> I'm not sure if this is the problem, but it won't cost you much to try it!
> >
> >It was a good idea but I could not get it to work. The only compilable
> >version was
> >
> >    $Name_p = \$sth1->{NAME};
>                ^^ this returns a referenc. to a reference.
>
> >    out "Name ", @$$Name_p,p;
>                   ^^ (see above) that's why you have to de-ref. twice here.
>
> The DBD::mSQL and DBD::mysql docs will be fixed in the next release.  This
> is the best way if you want the column names from your select:
>
> @names = @{$sth->{NAME}};
>
> --
> Nem W Schlecht                  nem@plains.nodak.edu
> NDUS UNIX SysAdmin         http://www.nodak.edu/~nem
> "Perl did the magic.  I just waved the wand."

Okay,
	Thanks for pointing me to the right perldoc.  The original statement
and your version work if I execute the private _ListFields function as
described in the DBD::mSQL perldoc.

    $ref = $dbh->func( 'pcr', '_ListFields' );

Neither of them work if I do the following select.

    $sth1 = $dbh->prepare( q{
      SELECT *
	FROM pcr
      }) || croak $dbh->errstr;
    $sth1->execute || croak $sth->errstr;

My understanding is that I need to stick to the DBI way of doing things
for portability. Is my select statement wrong?

	Thanks
	Michael
--

Phone (voice): (812)854-1101    (fax):   (812)854-3437
E-Mail: Michael.Bletzinger@ssa.crane.navy.mil