List:       msqlperl
Subject:    any idea how to calc query time consumptions?
From:       "Carsten Posingies" <root () athena ! pos ! ipf ! net>
Date:       1997-02-14 9:14:17

I fear this is a more Perl and web server related question, but
maybe someone here did a similar thing and knows how to get this
to work:

I'm running a script that does some slightly heavier queries.
On the top of the script I store the current time. After the
whole proccessing is done, I'm fetching the now-current time
again and print out the difference to inform the users about
how much time the script needed. But... this duration info
doesn't seem correct in any way. E.g. when I look at my clock
between clicking on the submit button and the display of the
results, this lasts about 10 seconds, but my script just says
something about 3.5 seconds.

My thought was, ok, this may be delays resulting from my client,
the shell calls, the webserver and the like. So I played around
blowing up the database factor 10, factor 50. But I'm unable to
get a constant or linear relationship between the printed and
the measured duration, i.e. some t_right(q) = n * t_wrong(q) + c.

Is this more a "lost time" phaenomenon belonging to "alt.fan.x-files"?

Don't think it's really important, but:
- Slackware Linux 2.0.0 on Intel Pentium 133 w/ 32 MB,
- Perl 5.003
- Msql 2b4
- MsqlPerl 1.15
- Apache 1.2b6

Any help and any suggestions appreciated. Because off-topic (I think),
e-mail'ed answers prefered... Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Carsten Posingies