List:       msqlperl
Subject:    Re: Installation error..
From:       "Andreas Koenig" <k () anna ! in-berlin ! de>
Date:       1997-02-02 16:07:11

>>>>> netpoint  writes:

 netpoint> I am installing msqperl on my server and am having problems right off
 netpoint> the bat. I would appreciate some assistance so that I can understand how
 netpoint> to get around and find the info I need to complete the installation....

 netpoint> I completed the:

 netpoint> % perl5.003 Makefile.PL

What if you try /full/path/to/perl5.003 instead?

 netpoint> but when I went to:

 netpoint> % make

 netpoint> I received the following:

 netpoint> -------------------------
 netpoint> Unrecognized switch: -MExtUtils::Install.
 netpoint> *** Error code 255

Apparently the Makefile executes a different perl than the one you
used for writing the Makefile. This should never happen, I don't know
if or why it happens on your system. Oh, BTW, what system are you on?

Send us the output of 'perl -V'!

 netpoint> Stop.
 netpoint> bash$ make test
 netpoint> Unrecognized switch: -MExtUtils::Install.
 netpoint> *** Error code 255

 netpoint> Stop.
 netpoint> ------------------------

 netpoint> Where EXACTLY do I need to look for answers?? I would appreciate any
 netpoint> help very much. I looked thru much documentation, but at this stage in
 netpoint> the game I believe I need my hand held a bit.

I have no idea why you have this problem. Please try

    perl Makefile.PL NOECHO=

This will produce a Makefile that echos all commands before executing
and we can find which perl is being called instead of 5.003.

andreas

 netpoint> Thank you!

 netpoint> Dan
 netpoint> netpoint@epix.net