List:       msql-mysql-modules
Subject:    Re: DBD::mysql timeout
From:       Rudy Lippan <rlippan () remotelinux ! com>
Date:       2004-09-20 17:46:53

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 rcraig@beavisinformatics.ca wrote:

> Hello,
>
>     I have a script that runs a series of summary queries. On the last query,
> it is timing out, returning the message:
>
> DBD::mysql::st execute failed: Lost connection to MySQL server during query at
> stats_tester.pl line 56.
>
>     If run from the mysql prompt, the problem query takes about 31 seconds.
> The column in question is a tinytext and it is indexed with about 2 million
> rows.
>
>     The script is only being run from the command line at the moment, so it's
> not a server issue. I am using the default mysql-huge settings that came with
> the install. Is there a param I can pass to the connect() to make the script
> wait for longer before quitting?
>
>     Thanks in advance for any help.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Server_system_variables.html

And you should be able to set/change them using a
$dbh->do("SET variable_name = $value")

Looking over the list, the only one that I see that ~30 sec is the
net_read_tiemout, so you might want to start there.

I don't see why DBD::mysql should drop connection while the client does not, so
if that does not help, code and traces and schemata would be come in handy...

HTH,

Rudy