List:       msql-mysql-modules
Subject:    Re: DBD::mysql and mysql_use_result
From:       Patrick Galbraith <patg () mysql ! com>
Date:       2004-08-18 0:43:09

On Aug 9, 2004, at 8:01 PM, Rudy Lippan wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Aug 2004, Patrick Galbraith wrote:
>
>> As far as use_result vs. store result, the server prepared statements
>> (mysql 4.1 and greater) will always use 'store result', as this has no
>> affect on performance as per the API documentation.
>>

> I plan, if possible, to make "use result" the default with prepared
> statements,
> my thinking here is this: if you are going to be using parepared
> statements, you
> will more than likly be running in a persistant envionment, in which
> case,
> memory usage becomes more of an issue. esp. in something like a
> mod_perl
> envionment because when you use "store result" you will more than
> likely use 2x
> the memory (or more) -- Think of an application that munges the result
> result
> set and pases the munged data off to a templating system for a total
> of three
> times memory usage of just the result set.

Rudy,

Hmm... I can see that point. Is there something similar to this in
other database drivers? What setting do they default to? I would like
to bring this up too with the fellow who implemented the server prepare
statements in the server and see what he thinks.

> And from my reading of the docs (though I have not had a chance to
> test this
> yet), mysql_stmt_store_result() need not be called mysql_stmt_fetch().
> Is this
> the case?

Yes, an I just tested this with the latest code I've worked on, and it
works without store_result. I'm curious to see what my benchmarking
will show ;)

As far as the question about use_result, I'll have to test this.

regards,

Patrick

> Rudy
>

> --

Patrick Galbraith Senior Software Developer
patg@mysql.com http://www.mysql.com

"Whatever action a great man performs, common men follow. Whatever
standards he sets by exemplary acts, all the world pursues"  --
Bhagavad Gita