List:       msql
Subject:    Re: Beginner needing help
From:       "David J. Hughes" <bambi () Hughes ! com ! au>
Date:       1999-02-24 22:56:35

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Fernando Lozano wrote:

> So, msql2d tries to do a reverse DNS lookup for every connection?

Only for TCP based connections naturally.

> I think this should be configurable on msql.conf. Many LANs do not have
> reverse mapping configured, and for some WANS they are but it's too slow
> because of the way they subnet and configured the DNS servers.

It does a reverse lookup on the address and then a forward lookup on the
resolved name to ensure that it's not being faked in the DNS.  Remember
that access control for TCP based connections is via hostname so it's
important to verify that the name is correct.

For local connections which would be the normal use of mSQL, this isn't an
issue.

Bambi
..