List:       msql
Subject:    Re: [mSQL] Searches on a HUGE database
From:       "Mark H. James" <markj () 3cat ! com>
Date:       1996-11-28 9:10:56

On Wed, 27 Nov 1996 21:57:00 MET, Kenneth.Holmlund@tp.umu.se wrote:

> Assume your external file search engine returns
>100 unique keys.
>Then you'll have to loop over these keys and do 100 msql
>selects and you'll have to sort by hand.

Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate it ...

I would think this would actually work well.

First off, if these are primary keys mSQL will fetch them fast, one
by one.

Second, it is unlikely that you would want to return 100 or more
search results in one Web page.

I would do that like Alta Vista -- run the text search engine,
generate the keys list, sort it (pretty fast in Perl I think) and
write it to a file on the server (the filename being recorded as
hidden field or cookie). Then take the first 10 keys and fetch them
from mSQL.

Only get the next 10 when they are requested, and so on.

Mark H. James	       |   markj@3cat.com
Three Cat Software            |   http://www.3cat.com
Web Development              |   73266.2400@compuserve.com