List:       ms-wmtalk
Subject:    Re: Bandwith, software alternative?
From:       Marc Melkonian <Marc () MELKONIAN ! NET>
Date:       2005-08-25 18:09:34

It will not work with Streaming, but it would work to distribute the
file to a machine for local playback.

Once the file is placed in the BitTorrent, the distribution is based on
the popularity of the file.  The greater the number of people that
download the file, the greater the number of people that seed the file
(if they decide to seed). If I then found this file on BitTorrent and
selected to download it, I would connect to different people (those who
are seeding), pulling a portion of the file from each, and re-assembling
the file on my system for playback.  While I am downloading I am also
seeding (since my download speed is based on my sharing).

If no one likes the file, or only one person is seeding, then the system
is pretty much a point to point download.

So, this will work as a "type" of delivery network, if your content is
popular.  Note that you should have the copyrights to the content for
distribution.

Hope this helps.

Marc Melkonian
Director, Media Services