List:       ms-wmtalk
Subject:    Re: Technical point of vue on DRM (was 'Re: Output stacker')
From:       Pierre-Yves Kerembellec <Pierre-Yves.Kerembellec () NOOS ! FR>
Date:       2005-02-21 14:14:24

Brandon,

> The analogy I use is that it is harder to rob a bank than it is a 7/11,
> because the bank has more valuables. Look at what the Content Distributor
> is trying to do.  Is the DRM for Napster the same strength as what a Movie
> Studios would require?  Of course not.
>
> The point of DRM is not to make it impossible to copy content, just not
> easy.

100% agree with the above sentence ^_^

> You can make a 100% copy of a CD, but the industry still sells them.

Yes, but there is a recognized sales erosion in the music industry, partly
due to piracy (I'm not saying this is the only reason, but still).

> The generational loss of copying protected content has to be enough to
> prevent Marketability, but not so strong as to create a bad consumer
> experience.

Mmmm, this is piracy incitation here !!! ;-) ... I'm sure a lot of consumer
are very happy (and will be for a foreseable future) with current DVD quality
(which is totally comparable to correctly-encoded DivX). HD movies are (as
of today) for :

- rich folks that can throw $3000 in a powerfull PC
- theaters

I must say I'm very happy with the digital quality I get from cable television
and DVD today (MPEG2 6-8Mbps), and even if HD is on the way, I don't see why
I would pay for such a content when I can have it for free in a very decent
quality (playing the devil's advocate here).

> As we move to HD Digital Cinema's you see scenarios where DRM has to do
> more than just prevent 98% copies. If the theatre has a 1080p copy of
> a movie, and the consumer version is half the resolution 1080i copy, the
> 1080i version would look just fine sourced from the Movie house version,
> and a DVD 480p might look better sourced from a pirated version than
> sourced from film.

Pierre-Yves