List:       ms-wmtalk
Subject:    Media Servers
From:       Adam Grayson <adam () ADAMGRAYSON ! COM>
Date:       2003-02-28 23:52:59

We are currently in the market to purchase a dedicated server to stream
Windows Media video. The clips will be small, generally 4-6 MB each.
Traffic will be pretty decent, with several thousand sessions per day to
start, and that number increasing as more clips are added. I've done quite
a bit of web and database server purchasing in the past, but never a
streaming video box. What specs are most important, where should extra
money be spent, etc? For instance, on a database box rule-of-thumb is to
have as much RAM as you can afford so that the busiest parts of the
database are always loaded into memory. Are there similar notions about
video servers?

Any input is much appreciated

Adam