List:       ms-wmtalk
Subject:    AW: Automatic rollover to backup stream
From:       Tim Ebert <t.ebert () MES-INFO ! DE>
Date:       2002-09-30 19:15:00

Hi Charly,

Try this workaround (I´m not the author) which I used myself in our
R.E.M. webcast in 2001. In that case I pointed a unicast to that
multicast in order to distribute it to internet users.

"Setup a station for distribution only.
Setup a program with 2 streams
    Stream 1 sources from encoder #1
    Stream 2 sources from encoder #2
Setup your unicast pub point sourcing from the station.
Start both encoders
Start the program (make sure you DO NOT choose stop on errors when
setting
up the program)
Then at the specific time you want it to switch stop encoder1 and it
will
switch to encoder #2.

What should happen is the program would detect the stream has stopped
and
switch to encoder #2. If you want to go back to encoder #1 start encoder
then stop encoder #2

You need to make sure you have NOT choosen stop on errors . You might
want
to slect play forever if you want to switch back and forth between the 2
streams... If you do not want to go back to encoder 1 from encoder 2 you
dont need the play forever option enabled in the program..  Using 2
streams
pointing to the 2 encoders encoding the same source is also a way to
build a
type of redundancy in your encoding, if for some reason one encoder
stops -
which we all know should never happen 8^) - the program will switch over
a back up encoder encoding the same feed.....

This might be something you could work with...  Using the other advanced
stream options there are some variations you could pull off such as
specific
a duration for stream #1 and start the program relative to the time you
want
the stream to switch to encoder #2."

Cheers,
Tim