List:       ms-wmtalk
Subject:    Re: min client for 320x240 lan delivery
From:       "Scott Harrison (Exchange)" <scotthar () EXCHANGE ! MICROSOFT ! COM>
Date:       1998-03-22 10:42:08

If you encode 320X240 at about 300 - 500 kb/s using aobut 15fps you can get
a nice image that is capable of running full screen with 3.0 or run at 200%
300 kb/s(about what I would recomend if you want to do full screen or large
full motion video)  times 20 clients is 6000 kb/s about the max I would
suggest on a 10mb ethernet segment.  IF you use the 400 KBS that is 8000 kbs
and might work but how about some room for the other networking functions
such as the browsing and other stuff that is normally occuring on the wire.
60% (on the conservative side) or 70% is about all the volume you should
plan for on a segment for normal sustained traffic.  assuming you will have
all 20 clients going at the same time.

The key thing you want on the clients is a good video card , CPU and enough
ram, of which you mention below these are minimum requirement machines (as
in audio only or low rate small size video)and will likely not give you any
kind of decent results running the higher end content that you seem to
indicate you are looking for.

It is the frame size and the frame rate that are the most demanding.  You
could possible get by with a large window with a low frame rate or a small
window with a medium framerate. If you want a large window with a high frame
rate upgrade your client machines.  I would budget for 20 new pentiums the
fastest you can afford or if you are trying to save money upgrade the  video
cards, put another 16 mb of ram in those machines, and try to get a faster
processor in them.  Dono enough about the Main Board but you might be able
to stick a faster CPU in there if you can find them..  Intel at least is no
longer manufacturing anything less than a 233 clock chip from what I
understand.  Although I am sure there still plenty in the channel to go
around for now.

If you get new machines it is likely they will come with 100 mbit cards and
I would just go with a 100 meg FastEthernet that way you have some growing
room and you could seriously do TV size/quality on this setup.

Depending on your needs and what you are trying to do this is a perfect
secnario where you might consider Theater Server for your needs. It all
depends on how good do you want the end results to look. Not to say you cant
find an adequate solution using NetShow but if quality is paramount then
Theater server might be right for you.