List:       ms-wmtalk
Subject:    Re: sewing /encode live or stored .avi best?
From:       Dennis Fanshaw <dennisf () MICROSOFT ! COM>
Date:       1998-02-27 17:57:14

Alan,

You cannot sew together ASF files using an ASX, what will happen is the
first URL in the ASX file that the player can successfully connect to will
be the one that is played back, the others will be ignored.  Playlists are
just short of impossible in Netshow 2.0.  the only practical means of
implementing this kind of behavior would be through the use of a Channel,
Program, and multiple streams, and this solution is far from ideal, since
there is no way to ensure that the use is seeing all of the content from the
beginning to end.

Now the good news is, this feature was requested so often in 2.0 that is has
been included in 3.0.  Using Netshow 3.0 you can now create playlists that
will allow you to accomplish exactly what you are trying to do.  In fact the
functionality of ASX files has been greatly expanded in Netshow 3.0.

Thanks
Dennisf